It's that time of year again - where I bore you all with my favourite new music of 2016. I'm not going to bother with keeping you in suspense like a terrible reality TV show. My favourite album of the year is Delain's symphonic pop metal record Moonbathers. I think that 2014's The Human Contradiction is a slightly better album. But of all the new records released in 2016 Moonbathers is the one that's had most rotation.
If you're in the "that's not metal" camp because Moonbathers is too poppy. Then you have my pity. But if you want a recommendation for my favourite heavy album of the year that would be Be'lakor's Vessels.
- Delain - Moonbathers
Other 2016 albums I've really enjoyed, in no particular order:
- Be'Lakor - Vessels
- Dark Tranquility - Atoma
- Insomnium - Winter's Gate
- Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
- Katatonia - Fall of Hearts
- Megadeth - Dystopia
- Novembre - Ursa
- Omnium Gatherum - Grey Havens
- Opeth - Sorceress
- Epica - The Holographic Principle
- Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary
A major disappointment this year was In Mourning's Afterglow. The Weight of Oceans was one of my favourite albums of 2012 and I was really looking forward to Afterglow. But the horrible muffled production ruined the songs for me. What about Metallica? I gave the album a couple of listens. It was okay. And then I pretty much forgot it.
What of the records I've listened to the most? In addition to Delain's Moonbathers the albums I've listened to the most in 2016 are:
- Delain - The Human Contradiction (2014)
- Paradise Lost - The Plague Within (2015)
- Riverside - Love, Fear and the Time Machine (2015)
- Xandria - Sacrificium (2014)